FOODSECRETS - June 2016
Burrata and Berries: New Summer Favorite
Strawberry Salad to Surprise
- 2 Pints Fresh, Fully Ripe Strawberries
- 1 Ball Burrata Cheese
- 1 lb. Mixed Greens
- 2 Tbls. Grated Orange Rind
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbls. Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ tsp French Mustard
- Wash and dry thoroughly enough greens to generously line four salad plates.
- Wash and thoroughly dry 32 medium, whole, fully ripe strawberries and place eight on each plate over the greens.
- For the dressing: Mix together the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, French Mustard and salt/pepper. Add the Grated Orange Rind to the Dressing.
- Dabble a small amount of the dressing over the greens and touch of the dressing over the strawberries.
- Gently pull the Burrata Cheese apart. The inside will ooze slightly and release a creamy center. Split the cheese among the four plates.
- Dabble the salads with the remaining dressing, salt and pepper and be prepared for a WOW as the ingredients and flavors meld together.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbls. Baking Power
- ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Cold, Unsalted Butter (8 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- 1 large Egg
- 2 Tbls. Grated Orange rind
- 3 Tbls. Orange Juice
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup Chopped Walnut Pieces
- Pinch of ground ginger powder
- 1 cup Fresh Strawberries, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or use a cast iron scone pan. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Cut the butter into cubes, add to dry ingredients, and with your hands QUICKLY crumble and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal. Work quickly so that the butter does not become warm. (You can also use a food processor, but do not overmix.)
- In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream or Crema, egg, orange rind and juice, and vanilla.
- Add the Strawberries and Walnuts to the dry ingredients and whisk gently until they are incorporated.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, using a fork until moist clumps form.
- Gather up the dough and knead lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Do Not Over-Knead.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces. (Square, round or triangle if you are using a baking sheet.)
- Place in scone pan or prepared baking sheet, leaving enough space between each scone.
- Bake until golden brown about 12-15 minutes. Serve with the Strawberry Plus Salad.