FARINGWELL - May, 2013
English Pea Salad
Chef Rachel Sillcocks, Range Restaurant, San Francisco, CA
Range Restaurant Chef Rachel Sillcocks brings Iacopi English Spring Peas to the table in a composed salad. Now approaching her first year anniversary at the helm of Michelin-starred Range, Chef Rachel shows us how to make this layered dish with its delicate pesto base and tarragon-buttermilk vinaigrette possible year round.
English Pea Salad with Easter Egg Radishes, San Andreas Cheese,
Buttermilk Tarragon Vinaigrette and Pea Pesto
For the English Pea Pesto
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 bunch Fresh Tarragon
- ½ bunch Fresh Parsley
- 1 cup Spring English Peas
- ½ cup San Andreas Cheese
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Blanche peas quickly, pour into a strainer and plunge quickly into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Remove and set aside, blotting to remove any excess water.
- Combine Tarragon, Parsley and half the Olive Oil in a food processor.
- Pulse until the herbs are roughly chopped.
- With the food processor running, add the remaining oil.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste. Set Aside
For the Buttermilk-Tarragon Vinaigrette:
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 small garlic glove, microplaned
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup EITHER Champagne/Sparkling OR Cava Vinegar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 3 cups Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch Fresh Tarragon, finely chopped
- Combine the garlic, buttermilk and vinegar and let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the garlic-buttermilk-vinegar mixture, along with the egg yolks in the food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
- While the blender is running, SLOWLY dribble the olive oil into the machine to emulsify the olive oil.
- Finish the dressing with the pepper, cayenne and salt.
- Transfer the dressing to a blow and mix in the chopped tarragon by hand.
- Set Aside until you are ready to plate the salad.
To Plate the Salad:
- 1-2 lbs English Spring Peas, including stems and tendrils
- 1 bunch Easter Egg Radishes
- ½ lb. San Andreas Cheese
- 1-2 spoons of English pea pesto for each plate
- Buttermilk-Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Rinse and dry peas, stems and tendrils and set aside.
- Slice Easter Egg Radishes. Set aside.
- Slice thinly San Andreas cheese into two inch squares.
- Spread a spoonful of the pea pesto over each plate.
- Layer the English peas, Easter egg radishes and four slices of the San Andreas Cheese to each salad.
- Dabble with Buttermilk Tarragon Dressing.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy!